The Gates Cambridge scholarship 2020 is for the international student who is seeking to pursue a graduate degree at Cambridge University in the UK.
The UK government is in partnership with the Bill Gates foundation in awarding a scholarship to international students who have demonstrated great determination to pursue their academic dreams not bothered about the financial implications that may arise. The Gate Cambridge scholarship 2020 is one of such opportunities for you to get a Ph.D. and master’s degree in the UK.
Field/Level of study
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is available to international students seeking to pursue their masters and Ph.D. in any course of their choice in the school. There are few courses which are not eligible for Gates Cambridge scholarship and they include:
- An undergraduate degree like BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Graduate course in Medicine (A101)
- MBBChir clinical studies
- MD doctor of medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
The scholarship host institution is Cambridge University UK. If you want to partake in this scholarship, you will need to read about getting a UK tier 4 student visas for international students.
The Gates Cambridge scholarship takes care of the full cost of studying at Cambridge. The scholarship is one of the generous foreign grants available. It covers the following:
- The tuition fee at the appropriate rate.
- Maintenance allowance for a single student, up to £17,500 depending on the program.
- Single economy airfare at the beginning and end of the course.
- Arriving Visa costs and the cost of the immigration health levy.
- Academic development funding to attend conferences and courses: up to £500 to £2000 depending on the length of your program/course
- Family allowance
- Fieldwork experiences and costs
- Maternity and paternity funding: If required.
- Hardship funding: For Unforeseen crisis.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is open to foreign students from any country aside from the United Kingdom.
You can apply for the Gates scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country aside in the UK.
- Aspiring to pursue one of the following full-time courses at the University of Cambridge:
- One year Postgraduate course
- If you already commence a course, you cannot apply for this scholarship to fund the remainder of it.
- If you already a student of Cambridge and want to apply for a fresh postgraduate course i.e. if you already studying Mphil, you can apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a Ph.D.
Every student is unique and brings something different to the program, these are the 4 main criteria they are looking for:
- Leadership potential
- A good academic fit with Cambridge
- Academic excellence
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
Method of Application
- Candidates must submit an application for graduate admission. All supporting documents for admission must be submitted via the University graduate applicant portal (link below) in order to be considered for admission and the scholarship.
- While filling the application form online, there is a specific request from the Gates Cambridge section where applicants are requested to submit the following:
- A 3,000 character (500 words) statement about your fit with the Gates program.
- Non-academic reference about their fit with Gates Cambridge. Referees may type up to 4,000 words into online reference or upload a separate letter. They are usually asked some questions on how they rate the applicants for the scholarship.
- A current and updated CV/resume.
- A copy of your relevant transcripts will be required for upload.
- A research proposal may be required if it has not been submitted as part of the application for the course. This is only for Ph.D. applicants.
It depends on your choice of course – it is either December 3, 2019, or January 7, 2020.
For more information, visit the school website.
For more scholarship updates click here