The DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships are mainly for citizens of Sub-saharan African countries. The DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year for applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, to pursue development-related Masters and Ph.D. studies.
Brief Description of the DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships
Host Organization: University of the Western Cape, South Africa/Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Scholarship Location: South Africa/Germany
Course Level: Masters/Ph.D Degree
Number of Scholarships: Limited
Eligible Country: The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries.
Worth of Award: Check Below
Application Deadline: 21 June 2021 (annual)
Field of study
DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries.
Worth of Award/Inclusions
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for Ph.D. candidates. Tuition and registration fees are covered by the Scholarship Programme.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the program of their choice. The information is available from the respective program’s sections. In addition to program requirements, all applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% average for your last degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies
- South African students are required to have an honors degree in order to be admitted to a Masters’s degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4-year undergraduate degree.
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be a TOEFL, IELTS test or a similar standard test, or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- There is no formal age restriction, but applicants should apply within three years of completing their previous degree unless they have a good reason for having been academically inactive for a period
- Women are encouraged to apply
- South African students are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study full-time at the UWC for the required period.
Method of Application for the DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships
The information on “How to apply” for the Master in Development Studies, the Master in Public Administration, and the respective Ph.D. options can be found in the respective “How to apply” sections of each program. Applications can only be submitted by using the online application form, which is as well available in the respective “How to apply” sections. Applications via hardcopy or email are not eligible. The deadline is 20 June 2021.
It is important to visit the official website to access the electronic application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
For more information, visit the Official Scholarship Website:
Note: Not that ASTROLAKE.COM does not offer any scholarship, grant, or other forms of financial aid or assistance to students. We only provide you with information and opportunities to apply for available scholarships or grants to help you pay for your studies abroad.